Jason A. Lewis

Jason A. Lewis

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One of my areas of specialization as a lawyer is employment discrimination. I get about 1o calls a week from recently fired employees who feel like they've been treated unfairly. After I listen to their story, I usually agree that they were treated unfairly, but I have to explain to them that unfair treatment is not necessarily against the law.

One of the most common things I say to potential clients goes as follows: "In Georgia, there are very few protections for employees. Your employer can fire you for any reason - or no reason at all - as long as it was not based on your age, race, sex, religion or a disability. You can be fired just because your boss doesn't like you. I know what happened to you doesn't seem fair, but it was not illegal."

Occasionally, the potential client is able to tell me facts that seem to make out a pretty good case for discrimination based on one of the factors I mentioned earlier. I would say that about 1 in every 20 callers has facts that justify further investigation by my office. Only about 1 in every 50 turn into good cases worth pursuing, and I am happy to do that for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you think you need a lawyer?

The content of this blog is for general information only. Every situation is unique. The author is not your attorney and you should not rely on this blog for legal advice. If you would like an individual consultation, call the author at his office. If he can't help you, he will refer you to someone who can.

About Me

My photo
Rome, GA, United States
901 North Broad Street Suite 350 Rome, GA 30161 (706) 622-2217

Followers